Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We're Knights of the Round Table!


I'm nothing if not a traditionalist. Got my Bretonnian Battalion last thursday. Started assembling it almost  immediately, haha. Somehow the glue I was  using was drying literally half as fast as it had in the past. Small two-pack of superglue purchased at Lowes, you have failed me for the first time. Things sped up on Friday when Robert came over to watch movies and assemble his rat-men. Hobby Lobby glue, for one of the first times, proved the most effective way.


That being said, on to the army! Don't play armies you don't love. Don't let the fact that somebody else is playing the same army ultimately deter you from buying it.  I wish I'd been playing Bretonnians all along, haha. I love the Arthurian mythos. I am really digging these models. They are wonderful, and they're also pretty old. I don't think GW has touched the Bretonnian range in 7 or 8 years, and you know what? Even the most basic troopers are some of my favorite GW plastic models. And who doesn't love knights?





So far, I've only painted seven models. 6 men-at-arms, and one knight. A lot of the Games Workshop Bretonnian Knights are just... over gaudy. They don't look at all weathered, no realism at all. I know, I know, it's fantasy, but... Maybe I'm rambling. It probably doesn't make any sense. Anywho, my Commander will bear the same heraldry as the men-at-arms, since the foot troops will be his own household force, while the vast majority of the Knights will, of course, all bear their own heraldry. Here is my first knight, who has earned the nick-name The Black Boar.

 He is, as you can plainly see, black and white. Very crisp colours, but not gaudy. He looks very distinct without looking too silly. I think the paint scheme has a lot of dignity. But that might just be me. After that I'll be painting red and green  and blue and yellow knights. Knights of every colour of the rainbow!! haha.

Footnote: I'm fighting any number of urges to model every single knight after characters from A Song of Ice and Fire. Great stuff. Check it out. Coming soon to HBO.

And next, the Men-At-Arms. I wish they had better stats, you guys have no idea how much fun  I think these models are.



What do y'all think? I LOVE the way the shield transfers turned out. SO much easier than putting those blasted little things on space marine shoulder pads. I only have 34 Men-at-Arms, 32 peasant archers, 7 regular knights and one Pegasus knight. Until next time.

1 comment:

  1. Bah, everyone is putting me to shame with painting and building models...

    ReplyDelete