Wednesday, April 22, 2015

My Current Projects

I guess honestly the death of our beloved cat, Piglet, has been hitting me harder than I thought. Well, not harder than I thought, but for longer. I sure do miss that fluffy bastard. So I've been throwing myself into the hobby with a lot more enthusiasm lately, I guess trying to stay busy and distract myself.

But yeah, I sold some of my old, unused gaming stuff, and with it bought some 15mm miniatures for Beneath the Lily Banner, the ruleset covering the years 1680 to about 1750, maybe 1760 or so? So the first half of Empire: Total War, haha. My previous post covers it more, but here are pictures of the three infantry battalions that I've finished painting, still need banners.


The blue-uniformed battalions are Bavarians.



While the grey-coated ones are French.

Not content with this project, I'm finally getting my Imperial Fists on! I got a Great deal on the Assault on Black Reach starter set from a friend in SA, but until I get that (soon hopefully,) I didn't have anything to do, 40k related (besides work on my guard heavy weapons, but they're so goddamn boring, ugh), so I bought the new Tactical Squad:


Gave the Sergeant an actual bolter with his chainsword, gotta take full advantage of the Imperial Fist bolter drill rules. These are still very much a work in progress, but lemme tell you: Buy the Army Painter spray paint for whatever color marine army you're going to play. It will save you so much time. Especially if you're painting something as crappy to work with as yellow.


The other secret is my Micron pen. It's got a .2mm head on it, and that's how I did all the black lines on the models. Another Tremendous saver of time and effort. (It's also how I did the script on the purity seals, though I'm not sure the pictures show them that well)


Not content with these two other projects, I let my newfound compatriots at Great Hall Games seduce me with the game Bloody Big Battles. (I'm a sucker for alliteration.) A historical ruleset for battles between 1840 and 1905, it covers the Age of Rifles. Each base is 1,000 men, and the groups of bases in a unit represent either a brigade or a division, depending on how many. The scale of the game is really big, and you can refight the entire three day battle of gettysburg in three or four hours. So HERE you can see my Prussians for the Franco-Prussian war. I also got a French army pack of the same size, in 10mm. "10mm?" you say to yourself, "I can't even Concieve of minis so small!" Well...


They look incredibly easy to paint, you don't have to put much detail on such a small model, and they look great on the table.


This is the Army pack. Four infantry divisions, 5 bases of horses (I don't know how the cavalry was organized, cut me some slack,) and 3 cannons still in the bag. the equivalent of 26,000 men or thereabouts. 

So that's what I'm working on these days, haha. If anybody ever wants to join me in Austin to check out the historical gaming scene, the guys are friendly and they'll let you sit down and join in even if you don't have much experience. Most of them have models enough to share, it all depends on what takes your fancy.

And with my new Imperial Fists company beginning to take shape, I'm hoping to get some more 40k games in under my belt before long, especially with summer just around the corner.




No comments:

Post a Comment